Spice Up Your Life!
Turmeric is a miracle spice used in Asian cooking with an impressive list of health benefits. Curcumin, the main active ingredient in turmeric contains antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. As such, studies have shown turmeric can help protect bones and joints, improve digestion and have a positive impact on overall Health and Wellbeing – for both Humans and Hounds. Read our blog on Turmeric to find out more!
What is Golden Paste?
Golden Paste is a turmeric-based paste that is created by mixing turmeric, black pepper and coconut oil with water. Combining the turmeric with black pepper and oil helps to increase the absorption of the active ingredients into the body.
Golden Paste Recipe
There are so many benefits to adding Golden Paste to your dog's diet and it’s easy to make.
- 1/2 cup: Turmeric powder
- (Make sure the Turmeric powder is loaded with curcumin, ideally around 3-5%)
- 1 cup: Water
- 1/2 teaspoons: freshly ground Black Pepper
- (Black Pepper increases the effectiveness of Turmeric)
- 1/4 cup: Coconut oil
- (Coconut oil aids absorption)
- Mix the turmeric and water in a saucepan
- Stir on a low heat until it forms a thick paste add a little more water if necessary (approximately 7–10 minutes)
- Remove from the heat and add the black pepper and coconut oil, stir in well
- Allow the paste to cool and pour into an air-tight container
- Store in the fridge – it should last up to 2 weeks
As with anything new, go slowly when adding to your dog's diet. Start off with a very small amount and build up to the over a few days. A simple guide is ½ teaspoon of Golden Paste per 10kg of the dog’s weight, stirred into the food.
Make sure your dog has plenty of water available to prevent stomach irritation or constipation. If your dog is having any adverse effects from the golden paste contact your vet.
Just be aware, turmeric stains everything it touches, so be prepared when making your Golden Paste!
The Innocent Hound Fine Health Joint Support
Our luxury superfood sausages are an easy and convenient way of feeding a good dose of turmeric to your dog if you haven't got time to make Golden Paste.
They are made with 80% fresh British chicken and contain targeted levels of turmeric and black pepper to support healthy joints. Why not try some?